Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Anberlin - Cities
http://www.punkbands.com/reviews.php?id=733

Rating:

Released: 2007-02-20
Label: Tooth & Nail Records

One of the hardest things to do as a musician is to begin and end an album well. Hell, it can be a bitch just trying to begin and end a song well, let alone a whole record! If there’s one thing I can say about Anberlin’s third release, Cities, it’s that they got the beginning and ending right. The rest, though, is where it gets a little hazy. Stephen Christian and Co. have returned with a record that is fantastic in some parts and a frustrating underachievement in others.

The album begins with of those “ambient” intro tracks that can be ohh so annoying but, in the case of Cities, the track actually acts as a great catalyst for the tour de force that is the first song, “Godspeed.” This song contains everything about Anberlin that I love; powerful, driving guitars and drums, amazing vocal work by Christian, and a catchy as hell chorus. And make no mistake about it, the vocals are what make this record. Christian has one of the most easily recognizable voices in rock today and his tone and delivery help set this band apart from many of its contemporaries. Second track, “Adelaide,” delivers another addictive chorus which will run circles in your head until late spring if you’re not careful. The final track, “Fin,” also plays its part well as a set closer, complete with a children’s choir and a fantastic build up and fade to finish the record off.

The downfalls, though, lie in two major factors, both guitar driven; the underutilization of melodic lead parts to help counter and balance Christian’s melodies and the poor use of acoustic guitar. Luckily, Christian’s powerful voice is able to save all of these tracks from being a waste of time but he can’t be relied on completely; at some point, the rest of the band must be held accountable. For instance, the acoustic bridge in “A Whisper & a Clamour,” feels awkward, as does the track which follows, the almost completely acoustic, “The Unwinding Cable Car.” I’m all for the band expanding their sound and it’s not as if I don’t like the fact that these songs put Christian even more at the forefront but this is a band, right? You simply can not expect your singer to carry all the weight all the time. “Hello Alone,” would be an awesome tune if the opening guitar riff didn’t sound like it was lifted straight from Oasis’ “Morning Glory.” These are the kind of complaints that seem to just keep popping up when I listen to Cities.

In the end, your enjoyment of Anberlin’s third release will probably be based on your appreciation for Stephen Christian’s voice and vocals. The music has its moments but tends to simply act as a stage for Stephen to perform on. I had incredibly high hopes for this album and, in some ways, it delivers but a lot of parts on this record are weak. It’s a good thing these guys have such a unique and interesting singer because they would have never made it this far without him.
Reviewed by: Ian Lashbrook



Interview with: Anberlin on February 20th, 2007
http://www.punkbands.com/interviews.php?id=241

6 Comments:

Blogger Dan said...

"Fin" is one of the best songs I have heard in a long time. Thanks for making such a great, thoughtful, and melodic record. I will see you guys when you come to San Francico in March. Praying for you guys.

www.daniel-bowen.blogspot.com

1:00 PM  
Blogger kristy said...

it's refreshing to see more honesty as opposed to people going on and on about how magnificent you guys are i'm sure. however in this article's case i do have to disagree with the artists implications that the vocalist "saved" a lot of songs.

nah...you guys have a killer lineup.

there were a few things i didn't like about cities. oh well, it's your album not mine. and that makes it great.

keller-k.blogspot.com

2:00 PM  
Blogger BoiseGuy said...

as a venue owner in Boise, ID (The Venue) for the last 4 years I hear a lot of music. I have to say that this cd gives me the impression of sitting down at the table for a 12 course meal and enjoying every last piece of every course. I've listened to this cd (just 12 cuts, not the special version) and I love it. I've never been an Anberlin guy, but with this cd - now I am.
Lee

9:09 AM  
Blogger Book of James said...

What an interesting review. I am still working on degesting "Cities" myself.

I am finding that there is a nuance to it that I can not put my hands on yet. It will become more clear to me as I continue to soak it in and listen to some of the tracks.

While it is not one of those albums that I will listen to front to back, I continue to be drawn back to listen a bit more and a bit more.

I must say the concept of Stephen saving songs is kind of silly. The vocalist in great bands will always be a major focus. It's kind of like listening to U2 or the Police and saying, Oh Bono's or Sting's vocals really saved this song or that.

Makes me chuckle.

You guys make a great Band! Thanks to all of you!!

9:32 AM  
Blogger joshjacobson said...

hey, it was awesome to see you comment on my roommate's blog (Dylan Etc.). You guys really were awesome in Boston, and I'm pumped that I'm getting to see you again in Denver in a couple days! Any chance you'd play Time & Confusion? I'll see you in DC too.

-Josh

12:27 PM  
Blogger Peter said...

hmm....interesting.
I would have to strongly disagree with the article in that I think "the unwinding cable car" is amazing, especially live. When you guys pulled out the acoustic guitars and the girl from Meg & Dia came out to sing along, it was amazing.
I have to agree in that not every single part of every song is my favorite, but that is a given, because no one like EVERYTHING.
I guess that is the joy of music though isn't it? Everyone has their own opinions, everyone likes something that someone else hates.
All I have to say is "Cities" is a very well done album, with nothing but complements from me.

3:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home